Geoff Tennant - Promoting access to mathematics for all
My Blog

22/1/17: I'm coming home!

It is with a mixture of feelings that I tell you that I have resigned my post with the Aga Khan University and am due to be returning to the UK in early April.  There have been some great times, our students are wonderful and I will miss them a great deal.  But even as I write the back up generator in my apartment block is pounding away, it's noisy, smelly and I'm acutely aware that many people do not have access to one as I do.  So I look forward to a (very nearly) continuous electricity supply, being able to drink the tap water, being able to walk down the street without constantly being offered taxi rides.  As the saying goes: east or west, home is best!  And when I told the current student group of my departure, I think there was a large amount of understanding on this last point as Dar es Salaam for most of them also is a good way away from home.

So what next?  Well, an immediate thing is a conference before Easter of the Association of Teaching of Mathematics so very much looking forward to that as a way to meet up with old colleagues and meet new ones - and to give my paper, "Is good mathematics teaching a branch of geography?" which I need to get on and write soon.  Shortly after Easter I can reoccupy my house on the Hampshire / Berkshire border.

I've been delighted, since starting to make it known that I'm leaving the full-time staff of AKU, that a number of provisional offers for consultancy work have come my way and I'm seriously considering that as a way to go.  Particularly, I really like the idea of interspersing paying jobs with mathematics education, educational development and University programme management with expenses only or pro bono work particularly in mathematics education and church life, but will have to see!  This may be getting a bit ahead of myself.

It's great to know that, as a qualified and experienced mathematics teacher, I can almost certainly find work in the UK which pays reasonably well, being British is a great privilege which I will never again take for granted.  Meanwhile, any suggestions or offers of work gratefully received!  And if you're reading this from the UK, I look forward to seeing you again soon.

6 Comments to 22/1/17: I'm coming home!:

Comments RSS
Angucia Holdah on 24 January 2017 04:19
Thank you Dr.Geoff for the wonderful work you have done in AKU, especially in supporting us. The cohort 2016 lives to remember you. May God richly bless you.
Reply to comment

Geoff on 24 January 2017 04:32
Thank you, Angucia, I remember very well interviewing you in Arua and being hugely impressed by the work you were describing and your dedication to your college and students. I may be back in future, I'll let you know!

Alison Barker (was Thompson) on 26 January 2017 03:24
Oh my goodness Geoff....Jo Lenton and I were just reminiscing about the Leicester Secondary PGCS only the other day, and we were wondering where you were and what you were doing now. I decided to Google you, and this is what popped up! It certainly seems like you have been very busy doing amazing things. Still much appreciated by your students very like you were in Leicester. I am now Curriculum Team Leader at Humphrey Perkins, and Jo Lenton has recently joined the team too. I still often see Yuri Large, and am still in touch with others from our year group (2002-2003). It's lovely to have had a read of your blog, and maybe we will see you again at a conference or lecture. Take care and thank you for believing in me and giving me a chance to become a Maths Teacher. I wouldn't have been doing what I am today if you and Mike hadn't given me a place on that interview day in April 2002! Best regards Alison
Reply to comment

Geoff on 26 January 2017 23:32
Great to hear from you, Alison, I've sent a private reply, meanwhile, best wishes to you, JO and Yuri and anybody else who still remembers me and thanks for getting in touch, Geoff

kennedy chege on 27 January 2017 02:57
Thank you Geoff for the warm welcome and for making us comfortable since we joined AKU. Am lucky to have had a teacher of your stature. Wish you luck and God's blessings in your future endevours. kennedy
Reply to comment

Geoff on 27 January 2017 03:49
Thank you, Kennedy, look forward to working with you over the next few weeks and very best wishes in all your endeavours, Geoff