Geoff Tennant - Promoting access to mathematics for all
My Blog

11/11/12: I met the Vice President of Tanzania!

These posts are a little out of order, this actually took place before my visit to Arusha National Park. I hope it's worth waiting for.

The conference which took me to Arusha was jointly hosted by the Inter Unversities Council of East Africa and the East Africa Business Commission, looking to bring business and Universities together.  On the programme was indicated a 'guest of honour', with no indication who that was until the time came and it became apparent that it was the Vice President of Tanzania, Dr Mohamed Gharib Bilal.  After he spoke he went round the exhibition, and I was in the right place at the right time to meet him.  This following picture makes me laugh every time I look at it:

What I like about it best is Dr Bilal's apparent indifference to my deference.  The following two pictures are better albeit with me following off the edge, I suppose it's just possible that the photographer was more interested in the VP than me!

I'll be back soon, lots more to report on - lunchtime conversations about slaughtering chickens, striking up a conversation in the steam room in the gym with a manufacturer and exporter of bagpipes (exclusively to Scotland, curiously) and some great pictures of bats right outside my living room window.  So watch this space!  And if I appear to be neglecting my duties as a blogger, do feel free to remind me!

6 Comments to 11/11/12: I met the Vice President of Tanzania!:

Comments RSS
David Mansergh on 12 November 2012 16:48
As a result of your new connections will you be accepting the role of minister for education or minister for wildlife? I'm glad that your encounter with the vice president extended beyond the first photo! Best wishes, David.
Reply to comment

Geoff on 12 November 2012 23:10
Ah, that's a difficult one. Wasn't there a UK minister for fisheries and food who was quizzed on different types of fish and scored 0/10? Think that if that happened to me in wildlife I'd not do much better, so I suppose I'd better stick to education. But I won't be hovering by the 'phone.... Trust you're keeping well, Geoff

Jenny Spence on 13 November 2012 03:01
Love the photo! Very servile.
Reply to comment

Geoff on 13 November 2012 23:24
Thanks, Jenny. I'm told that bowing is more Asian than African, maybe I can introduce a new trend here!

Ssemutono stephen on 13 November 2012 13:16
I admire the way successful people achieve respect. I must take your example so I reach higher.
Reply to comment

Geoff on 13 November 2012 23:23
Great to be working with you on the masters programme, Stephen, and thank you for your kind words. Learning is a two way process, I am humbled by the dedication of the student group and aware of the need for me and the whole faculty to give of our best to repay the trust you have put in us. I'm sure my experiences with you will feature in future postings!